Sunday 15 May 2011

Banoffee Pie

It’s time for me to share with you the absolute joy that was Lorraine Pascale’s Banoffee Pie recipe. I made this on a whim for my boyfriend when he was busy revising; for main course I made chicken teriyaki pasta (we forgot to buy noodles). This was the first recipe I tried from Baking Made Easy, and I wanted it to be something he would love and also something that wouldn’t take long so we could pig out as soon as possible.

I can’t find the recipe online and I don’t have the book with me at the moment, so I’m just going to recreate it as it was a pretty simple recipe and I remember each stage quite clearly. I don’t remember the exact amounts for ingredients so I’m going to have to guess, but as soon as I go home I’ll update this to the correct amounts.

Ingredients:
250g digestive biscuits
100g butter
400g premade caramel (I used Carnation Caramel)
4 bananas
A good measure of rum, (I used baileys, you don’t have to use any alcohol if you don’t want to!)
1 pot of whipping cream or premade whipped cream
Step 1
2 tbsp icing sugar

Method:
1)      First melt the butter in a small saucepan. While you are doing so crush the digestive biscuits by placing them in a food bag and smashing to crumbs with a rolling pin. When the butter is melted combine the biscuit crumbs with the butter and press into the base of a round cake tin (I’m sorry I don’t know the exact measurements, I just hoped for the best and used the only one in the cupboard!).
2)      Leave the base in the fridge to set for 30 minutes. In the meantime whip up the cream with the icing sugar until firm, I’m sure you know what whipped cream is meant to be like! Then leave in the fridge to set for 30 minutes.
3)      Remove the base from the fridge and spread with the premade caramel.
Step 4
   4)      Chop the bananas into slices and put them in a medium sized saucepan with the baileys. Leave on a medium heat and stir until slightly mushy and combined with the liquid.
   5)      Spread the banana mixture over the caramel, and then cover with the whipped cream.
   6)      Leave to set for a few hours in the fridge.


Step 5










I had a minor disaster with the whipping cream whereby I left it to whip up 
in the Kenwood mixer, and when I came back it had curdled. I’m not very experienced with these things! So my boyfriend had to break from revision 
to come and save the day by whipping up some double cream. It was really really good.

The end result was delicious, I should have perhaps given it a bit more time to set but no complaints about the gorgeous flavour.

An incredibly simple recipe to follow, yielding a lovely, indulgent dessert.




No comments: